A.R.S. 43-1089.01" />

Photo of students in afterschool activity Photo of students in playground Photo of student in dance activity Photo of student in band

Give Kids the Extra Credit logo

Image for 'You Can Do Both'Tax Credit FAQ

Q. Can I use my credit card to make a contribution?
A. Yes. TUSD accepts credit card payments online.

Q. What is a tax credit?
A. A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in your Arizona income tax liability. You subtract the amount of your contribution from the income tax you owe the State of Arizona. For example, suppose you are married and filing jointly and owe $1,000 in state income tax. When you make a $400 public school tax credit contribution, you receive a $400 credit on your Arizona income tax return.

Q. Is it a tax deduction?
A. No. You receive a tax credit on your Arizona income tax return for your contribution. As a dollar-for-dollar reduction in your tax obligation, a tax credit is much more valuable to you than a tax deduction.

Q. Who is eligible?
A. This tax credit is available to everyone who pays Arizona state income tax.

Q. Do I have to itemize?
A. No. You do not have to itemize deductions.

Make your contribution

Q. What form(s) do I have to fill out?
A. You need to file Arizona Form 140 (the longer tax return form) and complete form 322 and Form 301.

Q. Do I have to live within TUSD?
A. No, any individual who pays Arizona State income tax can give to any Arizona public school.

Q. Why should I contribute to a public school?
A. You tax credit contribution helps kids learn and can create jobs. If you want to help kids learn and create jobs, then contribute.

Q. Why else should I participate?
A. You participation means you (not the Arizona legislature) get to decide where your tax dollars are spent. When you participate, your taxes are spent here in Tucson. Here’s another reason to participate: contributing doesn't cost you anything.

Q. Who chooses which school receives my contribution?
A. You do. You can choose a school based on student need, grade levels, location, or personal preference. See the list of TUSD schools.

Q. Who chooses the activity my contribution supports?
A. You do. For each school, you can choose an activity to support. If you want to support sports, choose sports. If you love music, make that choice. The easiest way to see the full list of eligible activities is to pay by credit card here.

Q. I can't decide which school to contribute to. Can you provide me with information about schools with the greatest need?
A. Please see the Greatest Needs page for ideas about which schools most need your contributions.

Q. How do I make the contribution – the payment?
A. You pay by credit card or by check to the school of your choice.

Q. Do I have to contribute the full $200 or $400?
A. Not at all. You are welcome to contribute up to the $200 (filing single) or $400 (married, filing jointly) all at once.
Contributions of any amount help kids. You can contribute as many times as you want. For example, you can make a contribution once a month during the year.

Image for 'You Can Do Both'Q. What is the Charitable Tax Credit, and can I contribute to both the Charitable Tax Credit and the Public Schools Tax Credit?
A. Yes, you can contribute to both! The Charitable Tax Credit allows you to direct some of your tax dollars to supporting charitable organizations that support the working poor. The Educational Enrichment Foundation is one of these organizations. This is a separate tax credit from the Public Schools Tax Credit, and, depending on your tax liability, you can claim both. When you contribute your Charitable Tax Credit to the Educational Enrichment Foundation and your Public Schools Tax Credit to a TUSD school, you support TUSD in two ways, for the Educational Enrichment Foundation directs its funds directly to supporting TUSD students, teachers, and classrooms.

Q. What is the deadline?
A. Contributions postmarked by December 31, 2016 may be claimed on your 2016 taxes. Contributions postmarked January 1, 2017 – April 18, 2017 may be claimed on either your 2016 or 2017 taxes—you choose! If you mail your check, your envelope must be postmarked no later than April 18, 2017. If you pay online, pay before midnight, April 18.

Q. I'm ready to contribute. Now what do I do?
A. Pay online with your credit card before midnight, April 18, 2017. Or complete the printable Tax Credit form and mail it with your contribution to the TUSD school of your choice. Remember to make your check payable to the school to which you are contributing and make sure your envelope is postmarked by April 18, 2017.

Note: Contributions postmarked January 1, 2017-April 18, 2017 may be claimed on either your 2016 or 2017 taxes--you choose!

Q. How do I prove I paid?
A. If you pay by credit card, you can print out a receipt. If you pay by check, the school will mail you a receipt after they receive your contribution.